NewsBabel NewsBabel

Global headlines in real time

15 Items
Active filters Topic: Happy Clear all
29 Sep 2026, 17:32 GMT

In the aftermath of recent Black Friday price lusting, the giving spirit comes early this holiday season (and in book-form too!) Baltimore’s own award-winning scribe, Madison Smartt Bell, will be reading from his new book, Zig Zag Wanderer, at the Ivy Bookshop at Lake Falls (6080 Falls Road) on December 11, 7pm. The evening will […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 17:31 GMT

Where is the Window? You sit or lay in a building welcoming you to some reminder of light. I remember there is such a thing as outside when I’m inside by a window. But where is inside exactly… and what is outside? I ask you: Can one window be the same window another looks […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 17:17 GMT

This past Labor Day weekend, Baltimore’s Arts & Music festival, ScapeScape took over the Station North Arts District. Spanning several blocks. What started as a tribute to Hampden’s The G-Spot, grew immensely since the festival’s first year. While maintaining the original mission to shed light on Baltimore music, arts, and theatre, this year ScapeScape […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 17:17 GMT

We are not a band, but we communicate through groove. We are not a theater group, but we want you to feel what we feel. We are not a company, but close ranks around our personal goals. We are not a nonprofit, but we are motivated by heart. We are not a sports team, but […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 17:01 GMT

One of Baltimore’s coolest literature magazines is Artichoke Haircut, a small-format production that fits nicely in your hand and reads nicely in your mind. They just came out with their fifth issue. And you probably already know this, but they also run a wildly popular reading series called “You’re Allowed,” which just moved from the (now […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 17:01 GMT

It turns out there’s something unexpectedly gratifying about miniaturized cuisine. I attended Small Foods 2012 with little expectation other than to satisfy my curiosity about the annual event I somehow seem to miss every year despite its great word of mouth. Events held at the Whole Gallery typically bring out a great crowd of open-minded […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 16:46 GMT

Take a look at the inner workings of the Baltimore Rock Opera Society as they prepare the choreography for MURDERCASTLE; the story of H.H. Holmes, Americas first serial killer. www.BaltimoreRockDoc.org Directed by Matt Kelley Shot By Faith Bocian, Greg Bowen and Matt Kelley Edited by Greg Bowen The tale of the Baltimore Rock Opera Society […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 16:02 GMT

It’s doubtful that you would think to put Emily Post and time travel in the same sentence, much less the same play, but RSVP, Glass Mind Theatre’s latest production, does just that. The show, half homage and half sendup to Miss Post’s Miss Manner’s persona, features homicide, high society, drunken sorority girls, cross-temporal love, and […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 15:47 GMT

Our good friends, Telesma, have spent much of the past month in the studio recording their new album, “Action In Inaction,” which is scheduled to be released on May 5th!! With the album now being mixed, Telesma is hard at work beginning the task of spreading the word on their latest creation. With two radio […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 15:47 GMT

Despite photography as a medium being a newcomer to the fine art world, it has already started to establish itself and continues to receive great recognition. With some photography works selling for as much as $6.5 million – a new record that was set by Peter Lik’s “Phantom” – it seemed like an interesting time to visit the fine art photography […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 15:47 GMT

I’ve been living on my own since I was like 14 years old, so it ain’t shit. There was no saying if I could get it or not. I’ve been inked out — I got that on my face actually when I was 16. I’ve had all those tats on me already. I had a […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 15:32 GMT

The most difficult thing with generosity is when your motives are questioned. I think this is a test from the universe.

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 15:17 GMT

Dwellers of any city know the importance of independent artists to the upkeep of local culture. The up-and-coming neighborhood near Hollins Market in South West Baltimore (So-We-Bo) is chock full of exactly these sorts of artists, so on Sunday, May 27th, locals of the neighborhood and surrounding areas gathered for the “Never Say Never” Sowebohemian […]

Download options
29 Sep 2026, 15:17 GMT

A stylized and subversive group exhibition entitled artNOW:Baltimore, curated by Alex Castro and Cara Ober, opened Friday at Washington College in Chestertown, MD. The exhibit was hosted at the Kohl Gallery at the Gibson Center for the Arts. This colorful multimedia show includes works by Christian Benefiel, Leslie Furlong, Andrew Liang, René Treviño and Karen […]

Download options